Choose your business name carefully. It is an important part of marketing your goods and services.
If you use a business name that is too much like the name or trademark of another business, you can be sued. Here is a list of resources to help you search for a good business name and to avoid names already being used.
- Search the Secretary of State database for names of corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships and limited liability partnerships that have already been registered.
- Search the Department of Revenue database for names of businesses that have already been registered.
- Search for trademarks already registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- You may also contact the Corporations Division at the Office of the Secretary of State to look up trademarks registered in Washington State.
You may also check:
- Published telephone directories such as Qwest DEX or Anywho.com as well as your local phone books.
- Registered domain names at whois.net
Go to Start a Business index